View Single Post
Old September 22, 2000, 02:22 PM   #16
PJR

Unkel:

I've read one of Lee's manuals and wasn't impressed. The major powder companies, particularly Hogdgon, test their loads with the components and do proper pressure testing. I don't believe Lee ever did so with the same degree of technical sophistication. From what I've read, a lot of Lee's material seems dated and doesn't take into account new powders and newer, hotter primers. Hogdgon and Alliant are always updating their material and this gives me more confidence in their data.

A friend of mine recently did some destruction tests on a couple of rifles. His results showed that it is not very difficult to confuse powder types and put a load together that causes a rifle action to let go.

There are people of out there who think if I can change primers then why not wads and why not hulls and why not powders. This is too serious a matter to give anyone any wrong ideas. That's what I believe you have done and what you have done is wrong and unsafe. It particularly wrong advice for someone who is just getting into reloading.

Satanta:

If you can, try both the Lee Load-All and the MEC before you make your decision or at least watch both of them in action. I did and found I didn't care for the Load-All but have been very happy with MEC. You might look around for a used MEC. I bought an older model for a very good price and it's still going strong.

[This message has been edited by PJR (edited September 22, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.02221 seconds with 8 queries