View Single Post
Old May 10, 2013, 07:40 AM   #5
kraigwy

kind of hard to tell from the pictures. If they are not reproductions they should have the Model Number on the guard, or the blade just a head of the guard.

I have never heard of or saw a Garand or Springfield bayonet with a leather handle, your's looks odd, first I though it was the M-4 but its not unless its been highly modified.

The Krag bayonet has a wooden hand or at least most versions, as does the M1917.

The rest (excluding the leather handle on the M-4) have hard rubber or plastic grips.

There were several versions of the bayonet for the Springfield. The one pictured (M1943) is a later version that was also used on the Garand up to and including the Korean war.

I'm not a bayonet expert by a long shot, I just like to have a period or correct bayonet for each of my US surplus rifles.

If you go to the CMP forums, those guys will tell you everything you need to know about bayonets and parts of bayonets.

Below is a picture of some US Bayonets, maybe it'll give you an idea of what you have.

From lest to right,

M-9 for the M16a2
M-7 for the M16a1
M-6 for the M14
M-4 for the M1 Carbine
M-5a1 Post War M-1 Garand
M-1943 for the Springfield 1903-Garand
M-1917 for the M1917 (Enfield)
Model 1901 for the Krag

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03854 seconds with 8 queries