View Single Post
Old November 6, 2008, 03:27 PM   #91

Quote:
This is a little disingenuous, and on more than one point:

1) "...as they were trained to." If by "trained", you mean a couple days in academy and a qualifying session once a year. If that's "trained", then I'm ready to pitch for the Yankees, 'cause I threw a ball around for the dog to fetch this morning. I'm a fairly casual hobbyist shooter, and I'll wager that I shoot almost as many rounds in any given month as the average, say, NYPD officer expends from his first patrol to his gold watch.

2) A two-handed grasp of the gun is not a particularly complicated motor skill. Besides, at least a third of any moderately serious shooter's practice should be one-handed (both weak- and strong-hand).
Tamera,
I'm sorry that you feel that way, because you have pointed out exactly what Matt is talking about and as a law enforcement firearms instructor and/or officer for several agencies I agree with Matt's assessment. The training for the average officer is lacking and does not included the necessary one handed shooting and movement skills the statistics show are necessary.

There is nothing wrong with two handed shooting however in close quarters shooting situations faced by most LEOs and CCW's it is most likely they will employ a one handed shooting platform. The distance to the threat and the urgency of making the shot will determine a lot of things such as use of point shooting or signed fire, the use of your support arm to defend off the threat and even how much you will extend your weapon.

NRAhab,
Matt and I have been to Rodmans Neck and I have the utmost respect for those guys due to the number of officers they train. I'd have to say that the number of rounds the average officer fires their first year would be between 1k and 5k. Which is better then some agencies which only qualify once a year and provide no additional training.

http://kilogulf59.proboards80.com/index.cgi

Last edited by 7677; November 6, 2008 at 03:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.03522 seconds with 8 queries