View Single Post
Old October 24, 2012, 11:35 AM   #18
rodfac

I don't hot load for any of my .44 Specials...Rugers or S&W's...that said, if you're inclined to "improve" on any of the factory offerings in .44 Special or any other caliber, for that matter, you might read up on Ken Water's method of load development; rifle or hand gun.

In a nut shell, he fired factory rounds in the gun that he was working on. Fired factory cases were then measured with an accurate micrometer, the measurement taken just above the case canelure, where the case wall begins to thin. Fired rounds nearly all show some expansion there and Mr. Waters noted the amount...numbering his brass as he did so, so that subsequent firings could be compared with the factory original readings. Meticulous work to be sure.

He applied an arbitrary add'l amount of expansion, to the original factory figure, and then worked up to that number with his loading. The amount of add'l expansion allowed was in part determined by the gun involved. For instance, he had separate numbers for the various generation Colt SAA's. (Black powder, Gen 2, and Gen 3)

Using this method, he compared various component combinations for accuracy and velocity potential, and had the original factory readings for comparison. It's important to note that individual brass cases (even from the same lot of cartridges), mad differ widely from the overall average. As a rule, he didn't go much beyond factory expansion plus 0.0005....that's 5/10,000 of an inch of add'l expansion...though there were some exceptions to that number...

Mr. Waters' book; "Pet Loads" is a wealth of information on a vast number of calibers and the guns that used them. His explanation for the "add'l expansion" method, as an indicator of comparative pressures, is worth reading...especially for those who feel the urge to improve on the ammunition companies' efforts.

Too, it's important to remember that many of the powders and primers that he used have changed over the years, as factories have changed hands. Powders like 2400, Unique, and Winchester 231 and HP38 come to mind. Over my chronograph, 2400 burns hotter now than it did 10+ years ago...read higher pressure and I've reduced some of my load accordingly. Unique too, seems hotter. Conversely, Winchester 231 and HP38 are slower now than when I first started using them. At any rate, it pays to be careful, and critical of any data you use...old or new!

I'd recommend "Pet Loads" to any aspiring reloader...Mr. Waters was a good writer, and a great read. He had no bone to pick nor urge to white wash a particular gun to satisfy a gun magazine editor. I've enjoyed reading him since the 70's.

I've no bone to pick with any poster who hot loads...just offering this bit of information for the use of all....Best Regards, Rod

BTW: dahermit's got some good thoughts in his post #16, several above this one...Good practice is to always mark any reloads with the important data: Mine all list the caliber, date loaded, bullet make, powder and charge, primer make, and seating depth. On some I also list the number of times the brass has been loaded...in the event of a case neck split, the entire box of empty brass is then discarded...flattened and discarded! Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; October 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Page generated in 0.04141 seconds with 8 queries