View Single Post
Old February 28, 2009, 03:25 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Courtesy can lead to a hassle

but by the same token, not informing the officer can lead to getting shot (worst case).

Quote:
All informing does is give the cop one more task to accomplish before he/she can release you. I t also opens you up to all kinds of hassles if the cop you happen to inform is an anti. My rule is not to inform unless specifically asked.
Not informing does one more thing, it tells the cop you are not being open and upfront with him. Officers are trained to "control the situation". And officer safety is a paramount issue. Telling the officer (handing them the permit, along with your drivers license) lets them know what the situation is, and they can "control" it easily. The permit gives them the heads up that you are not hiding anything, and therefor less likely to be a risk. Lots of times, they will just say "don't touch it", or something like that.

Not informing them, and haveing them discover it (see it) means they instantly assume the worst, simply for their own safety. Yes, you could be hassled by an officer with an anti-ccw agenda, but balance that against having a nervous (and maybe scared) cop draw down on you because he saw a gun.

I would inform the officer right away, and ask them how they wish you to proceed. Let them control the situation, and odds are they will feel better about it, thereby reducing your risk. You might still get the ticket, but to my mind, thats a lot better than a possibly fatal misunderstanding.

Page generated in 0.05479 seconds with 8 queries