View Single Post
Old April 6, 2005, 11:10 AM   #5
Pilot

I posted this comparison I did on THR recently. The standard, CZ-75B outshot my Sig P228. The PCR and P228 were basically neck and neck, but I've been shooting both CZ's for a long time and the P228 was brand new to me, but also darn accurate. I was impressed with the P228.

Battle of the double stack nines, Sig P228 vs PCR!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battle of the double stack nines, so to speak:

I pitted the P228 I just received from that place in Abilene against the CZ-75D "PCR" (alloy compact) and the CZ-75B (all steel, full size). The results were suprising and not so suprising in some ways.

The P228 I received is used, but in excellent condition, no holster wear and not a scratch on it, with the wrap around, finger grooved Hogue grips. I chose the one without the K-Kote and nite sights as they only had one left in blue excellent condition which was the one I got. It came with three Promags (which I've always heard bad things about) so I ordered a Sig factory (made my Mec-Gar) 13 round mag for carry.

I shot all three guns at 15 yards, with UMC bulk 115 grain 9MM, putting abut 100 rounds through each.

I started with the Sig. My first impression was that the recoil was very minimal, and the gun shot POA to POI. Pretty much right on. This gun is dead nuts accurate. I have heard they were, but it was surprising that I could shoot so well with an unfamiliar pistol. I really wasn't shooting for groups, but they averaged around two inches with a flyer here and there. Amazing. No failures to feed or eject, even with the Promags. Function was 100%.

Next was the CZ-75D PCR, which is similar to the P228 in that it has a decocker and is a downsized version of the venarable CZ-75. Its a gun I usually shoot well and carry from time to time. It is noticeably smaller and lighter than the P228, being more of a compact where the P228 seems more "service" size to me. I noticed going from the P228 to PCR, I had to get a firmer hold on the gun to keep it on target at first. My first five shots were terrible. On the paper but probably five inch groups. My second five were noticeable better and after that I was getting groups similar to the P228. I just had to get used to the PCR again. From now on when comparing guns, I'll shoot ten or twenty rounds before realy scrutiniaing my groups. The PCR was also flawless, without any failures of any kind.

Next was the full size, all steel, CZ-75B. It is a DA/SA like the others except no decokcer. The frame mounted safety allows cocked and locked carry like a 1911 though. I bought this gun from the Turkish Military contract over-run that CZ liquidated a few years ago. Quality seems on par with their commercial models, in fact, I think they are the same gun. It has a longer five inch barrel, longer grip and is heavier than either the P228 or its stablemate the PCR. I usually get decent groups from this gun, but not as good as the PCR, nor HK P7 nor BHP I have. Today was different. From the first five rounds to the last, it was scary accurate. One ragged hole at 15 yards. I never shot this pistol as well. Maybe it just liked the UMC ammo as I typically use WWB. It coud do no wrong. Function was again boringly 100% with the CZ-75B.

Summary:

All pistols shot extremely well. Recoil on the P228 was non-existent, pretty similar to the all steel 75B. In the P228 versus PCR battle, I would call it a tie or slight advantage to the Sig, but the Sig is a bigger, heavier gun. The PCR conceals better and will shoot on par with the Sig. Both hold 13 rounds, and some PCR mags will hold 14. If weight or concealibilty is an issue, I'd go with the PCR. If not, I'd probably go with the Sig, or toss a coin. Quality on both is excellent. The Sig is typcial Sig, but the CZ holds its own with fit and finish. I don't have thousands of rounds through the PCR, but from what I hear they went through a tough test for the Czech police and hold up very well. Of course the Sig is no slouch in the durability department.

I a very happy with my "new" P228 and really enjoy shooting it! If my wife gets a Glock, I'll do another Comparison and also throw in the Browning High Power for good measure.

Page generated in 0.05050 seconds with 8 queries