Thread: .243 Win on Elk
View Single Post
Old October 27, 2011, 05:56 PM   #66
Daryl

Quote:
I keep hearing that the .243 will cause just as deadly a wound in a poor shot as a 300 magnum, but do you guys really believe this, or are you truly convinced that the small bore rifle is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the equal of a large bore magnum with equal opr higher velocity and nearly twice the bullet weight?
That's not even close to what I said.

I said a poor shot is a poor shot. That's a fact.

You said that a butt shot would be lethal within a few minutes with a .460 wby if the arteries were lacerated. Note the qualifier.

I said the same thing would happen with a .243, again...if the arteries were lacerated.

It's also a fact that lighter kicking cartridges are easier for a lot of shooters to shoot accurately. Something like a .270 Win or a 30-06 Springfield makes a whole lot more sense than a .460 Wby OR a .243 for the average elk hunter. The .243 tests the discipline of the hunter, while the .460 Wby tests the ability of the shooter to absorb recoil and still shoot accurately.

I will ALWAYS recommend a middle of the pack cartridge to those who ask about elk cartridges. A .270 Win, or a 30-06 doesn't often cause the bearer to dream of 1000 yard shots, but will put an elk down at the ranges most often presented to a hunter in pursuit of elk without limiting their chances of success like a lighter cartridge might.

That said, if I'm asked what cartridge I would consider as minimum for elk for my own personal use, I'd have to say the .243 Win. I started shooting this cartridge in 1976, and have never been without one in my collection. I've put many thousands of rounds downrange from so-chambered firearms, and I know the capabilities and limitations of the cartridge pretty well. I also know my own abilities and limitations with the cartridge.

With that in mind, I'll not fault those who are willing to accept and honor these limitations if they choose to carry a .243 on an elk hunt.

Quote:
The other thing is that the incompetent hunters should get better at the sport, and then they can carry small guns.
In truth, my point is that the incompetent hunter should become more competent, and then they can carry what they feel is appropriate for their intended use. Carrying a large magnum, and thinking that it'll make up for poor shooting is a bad idea. In most cases, it won't.

And I've trailed enough elk that were hit poorly by other hunters using big magnums to know. I even know of a few that were finished off by other hunters (in my party), and no one ever trailed them up. Apparently, the original shooters didn't even know they'd scored a hit.

Daryl

Last edited by Daryl; October 27, 2011 at 06:10 PM.

Page generated in 0.01998 seconds with 8 queries