Thread: The HK MP 5
View Single Post
Old October 27, 1998, 02:28 PM   #22
4V50
Retired Screen Name

Hi Mute,

I imagine you're right about a PDW with the stock in the extended position. My only firing experience with a PDW type weapon was the MP5K which, unlike its American modified cousin, had no stock. The one I fired also had no sling so I didn't have that benefit when I shot it (so called SAS assault style).

Needless to say, I couldn't control the direction of a burst. About three hits was the best I could get on the target at about ten paces (full auto).

My friend, a German police officer, did no better. He has access to about a dozen MP5s in different configurations. He selected the MP5K for us to play with. Now, he works for 1 bureau (since then transferred to homicide) and there is something on the order of 11 other bureaus, each with a flimsy office cabinet which housed a similiar array of MP5s. The Germans aren't like Americans in that a SWAT member gets issued one gun, and trains with that same gun, and gets called out using that same gun. The Germans can trade off and take their fancy. Boy, sometimes the grass is really greener on the other side.

Now, the HK MP5 with a stock extended or fixed stock under full auto is a different story. The greatest distance I shot at in full auto was about 25 yards - and that was a short burst. (One thing I like about HK is that it is so easy to get a two or three shot burst off with just trigger control. You don't need the two or three shot burst group: just safe, single shot, and full auto. Also, it's easier on the armorer without those extra parts for the burst control - though the real tricky trigger group is the PSG-1 - and that's another story).

Keeping all the bullets on a stationary target is easy and fun in the single shot mode (most shots with the smg are single shot anyway). We shot at varying distances and the greatest was 75 yards. Everyone's MP5 was hitting consistently at that distance.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

4V50

Page generated in 0.03956 seconds with 8 queries