View Single Post
Old January 23, 2013, 10:25 AM   #22
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I was not aware that the newer Sphinx guns were any higher quality than the 2000 series.
I may have mistakenly misrepresented the Sphinx line...

I found the following in an internet search.

http://www.sphinxarms.com/

In their news release (on the site) they've announced a new US Importer (starting this quarter), and the list price of their "compact" model is $1295. (Woof!) It looks a bit like (but arguably better than) a CZ P-07 on steroids.

The only Sphinx guns I've seen in the past couple of years -- the 3000 series guns -- were their IPSC guns. No info was available about their service pistols. It looks as though the new Sphinxarms management (new owners) is focusing on a different market... and some of their guns now have aluminum or aluminum/polymer frames. One of the new guns, the "Kryptonight" model, has a machined aluminum upper and a polymer lower frame is probably VERY pricey. The Standard (full-size) gun has an aluminum frame (no mention of polymer).

It could be that the newer Sphinx service pistols are not built to the same standards as their IPSC or older 2000-serues guns, but if they're built as well as the ones I've owned, they're going to be exceptionally nice. We'll have to wait until someone gets one and tells us about it. Things may have changed.

(As I said, I had a SIG P-210-6, which is about as good as you can get without going "custom", and the Sphinxes seemed to be it's match in almost every respect. New, the prices were about the same, but used, the Sphinxes were more reasonably priced.)

If you can find a used Sphinx, they're generally worth the money. Mine all had the shiny stainless frame -- which I didn't like all that much. But they were a real pleasure to shoot. Because they were so pretty -- and shiny stainless does show scratches -- mine ended up as Gun Safe Queens, and I eventually sold them. Had they been matte stainless (more easily touched up when blemished) I'd probably still have them.

(Funny, isn't it, the things that people like and don't like?)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 23, 2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: incomplete...

Page generated in 0.03038 seconds with 8 queries