View Single Post
Old October 5, 2002, 11:06 AM   #21
Paul B.

Only one person has even come close to getting it right. Thanks Pampers for your comments. It won't make much difference how much time you have if you can't buy commercially cast bullets to load, or jacketed bullets for that matter. Some of us are old enough to remember WW-2, and the only ammo that was available was either .22 LR or 30-30, and you'd best be on a list of preferred people to get some. The .22's went to farmers to protect their crops, and the 30-30's to ranchers to protect their livestock. (cattle & sheep) I was just a kid then, but this old guy that lived across the street from me has a good supply of lead, primers and several pounds of Hercules Unique and #2400. he also had a good bullet mold. he kept his 30-30 and 30-06 shooting throughout the entire war. Unique for the light practice loads and #2400 for his deer loads. He taught me how to cast, lube, size and apply gas checks to his bullets. That was a long long time ago. Since that time, I have acquired my own casting setup and have, at last count, 67 different molds, from Lee, Lyman, NEI, several special order and custom molds, SAECO's, Hoch's, and the good Lord only knows what else.
To put it bluntly, being able to cast your own bullets is nothing more than plain and simple INDEPENDANCE!
Don't you find it strange that tire shops, car dealers etc. now can legally only sell their used wheel weights to "certified" recyclers? This is the line I'm getting from all the suppliers I've been dealing with.
Lee molds will work, to get back on the subject, but they are a touch fragile. Lyman's quality has gone a bit downhill lately. I much prefer RCBS, but I can find faults with them as well. Custom mold makers are expensive, but the quality is first rate.
I'll pick on Lyman again. One of their most popular bullets is #311291. I have bullets cast from three different molds, and none of them are the same. Diffeent nose lengths, different dimensions on the width of the lube grooves, even the shanks for the gas checks are different.
Still, and all, most mold will work just fine, and with care will last a long time. My first Lyman #311291 was given to me by that old bullet caster years ago. It's a single cavity, and the bullets from it are the best of the bunch that come from the three different molds in that model number.
can you hunt with them? Of course. I've taken roughly 25 Mule and Blacktail deer using the #311291 in a 30-30. You can load that one to full power with cast bullets.
All I can say is this. Once you get hooked, it's an addiction you won't want to quit.
Paul B.
NRA Life/Endowment member

Page generated in 0.03216 seconds with 8 queries