View Single Post
Old January 23, 2010, 05:07 AM   #25
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Having never owned a flechette round nor tearing into one, I will pose what little I know... Ball pellet ammo is proven! The flechette rounds contain multiple wire "darts" these are stamped fin stabilized but staggered with forward and rearward orientation to maximize payload...

That is the first negative issue! Second is the fact that each projectile is severely limited in overall mass... Steel round shot was frowned on by duck hunters for lack of "git on out and kill" capability.

The record shows that these projectiles failed to penetrate deeply enuff on a routine to make a reasonable "manstopper" in combat... If they had, we would have them on the shelves of the local shops along side or replacing 00 Buck!

Penetration reviews by DOD showed very shallow wounds compared to that of Buck used by combat forces in combat...

In combat, the only positive aspect was the "3 for 1" rule... for every wounded troop, you can remove 3 soldiers as 2 carry the wounded off the battle field. But a dead troop can be left to lay until a break in the fighting.

In real world use, you have minimal lethality backed by an un determined flight path caused by many issues none the least is less than precise straightness. Flight cannot be guaranteed to a nearly straighht path...,

Now to back this up I revert back to my days of throwing darts in the barroom. I bought parts and assembled sets. I paid good money for tips, weights, shafts and flights... A "Cheap" set was 20 bucks and a nice set was near or above $50. I preferred heavy weights to compensate for a less than stellar release. A less than ideal flight set resulted in poor flight. The flechetts is a stamped item and precision is non existent.

The added situation for no added shaft weight means that minimal distance will carry forward penetrating momentum.

Thats all I know and it ain't flechette specific but if a dart fying at 100fps needs all that technology, than I wouldn't rely on piano wire "darts" for life preserving performing performance.
Brent

Page generated in 0.01956 seconds with 8 queries