View Single Post
Old May 12, 2008, 01:54 PM   #9
Crestliner

Centerline Carry Holsters

Here is a link to a supporting viewpoint:

http://www.mdtstraining.com/The%20Ef...ol%20Carry.pdf

Early this year, upon purchasing my new SP101 2" barrel .357 Magnum, I elected to go with this principal of carry for one primary reason: concealment. Here in MA, open carry is frowned upon. Although not illegal per se, showing your weapon, in public, can result in arrest and eventual revocation of your LTC. Fine.

I looked at two readily available center carry rigs; the Smart Carry and the Thunderwear. Both seemed to me to be nearly identical in fit and function. I selected the Thunderwear, simply because it was available at a local gun show I attended.

After wearing for almost 4 months now, here is my critique of this product and technique.

First, this rig cost almost as much as a quality leather hip holster, OWB or IWB. $50. is not chump change in my book. However, after this short time of 24/7 carry, my rig is showing sighs of wear; fraying and stretching of the waist band.

Second, regardless of what this article says about your hands and arms being in FRONT of us and being natural, I find it slower to access the gun. Now I'm following the online displayed technique; left hand thumb in waistband pulling out, right/strong hand reaching in and drawing, both hands meeting on the way to the target for support, and finally firing, once the sight picture is achieved.

In order to keep my jeans on, my belt has to be reasonably snug, so the first step in pulling out on the belt causes delay, although this could be equated to the strong hand going to the hip in a typical OWB draw. Next - and most crucial - is that the hammer of my SP101 sometimes gets hung up on the pull out. Not often, as I do practice a lot. But maybe 1/10 times. That's enough to be of a concern to me, although I'm learning to "live with it". (That may be an oxymoron!) This is where a lot of the fraying I'm experiencing is coming from; the hammer pulling on the material of the rig at the sewn point.

Finally, when in the sitting position - chair or car. Very tough to get quick access to your weapon. I don't care what the claims are. It's a fact. I've tried and tried and like I said, I practice A LOT. Not easy to do...trust me.

Although I'm sounding very negative in all this, all in all, I find the rig extremely comfortable to wear. And with practice, you can become fairly proficient with it. Not sure if the material it's made out of will last the year though; which is a valid disappointment.

So, as with everything, it's all about compromise, in one form or another. I do agree with a lot being said in this article. But I'm here to tell you - take it with a grain of salt. JMO!

Page generated in 0.02683 seconds with 8 queries