View Single Post
Old April 11, 2013, 04:50 PM   #9
F. Guffey

Then there is the cycle of questions, if I had an interest in senility of a primer I would remove the anvil (carefully), I would then seat the primers in cases for testing. without the bang there would only be a dent, after creating all the dents in various primers I would compare dents. For bullets casters that should not be a problem, testing lead for hardness is an acquired skill necessary to be a lead bullet caster, when testing lead for hardness it is about weight, time and area.

I do have rifles with firing pins that crush primers, when I pull the trigger without a case in the chamber the fall of the firing pin goes “CLICK!”, then there are others that are more bashful.

Then there is the weight distance and speed test, again I have little interest in determining the senility of a primer, for what purpose? Pressure testing?? It has been suggested the primer is not a good indicator if pressure. I agree, I had rather use the flash hole diameter, then there are other indicators, I bundled up a small pile of equipment to assist in forming cases for a few wildcats being built, I was asked to bring ‘the other shell holder’ for magnum belted cases. We formed 300 H&H, 8mm Remington Mag, 300 Weatherby, and 300 Win mag cases to Wildcat configuration. There were 16 Browning 300 Win Mags cases that would not fit the shell holder, there were 12 Weatherby 300 Weatherby cases that would not fit the shell holder, so? I ask for the adjuster for cases that would not fit the shell holder, I ask for the small ball peen hammer, with light taps we drove the cases into the shell holder, after forming I suggested we not use the cases with the upset heads because only pressure could have crushed the case heads enough to prevent the cases from installing into the shell holder.

Then we measured the bottom diameter of the extractor grove, the groove was .007” larger in diameter than the diameter of the grooves that fit the shell holder, we also measured the diameter of the case in front of the belt, all the cases that would not fit the shell holder were .005” larger in diameter that cases that would fit the shell holder, I know, there is a collet die for reducing the diameter of the case head in front of the belt, there are just so many warnings signs I can afford to disregard, the cases that would not fit the shell holder had been abused.

There are shell holders that are more effective meaning they fit better/tighter than the RCBS shell holder.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.03437 seconds with 8 queries