Thread: Mossburg O&U
View Single Post
Old January 28, 2011, 06:45 PM   #3
BigJimP

Its not a great gun .....

I would put it in the list of less expensive / low volume shell / low volume usage ...potential O/U's ....with Remington, TriStar, etc ....but of all the guns in that under $ 700 category .... the TriStar is the only one sold with a 5 Year warrant /thru Cabelas. So if you're going to take a chance on one of these lower end guns ...I would probably recommend you look at the TriStar.

In general - there isn't much worth looking at in the O/U market below what Browning and Beretta / or maybe Ruger or SKB ...have on the market ...in that $ 1,500 price range.

Under that $ 1,500 price range in O/U's .... you have to be a smart consumer / and wonder about the stuff you can't see ....the quality of the steel, are the barrels "regulated" properly so they have the same point of impact ( or is one 10" different than the other ..) , how about the firing pins, springs, etc ...was it heat treated properly .....and on and on .... It isn't just about how fancy the wood is ....its what happens if you have a problem ... At least the TriStar has a good warranty ...and I doubt any of those other options have anything beyond 1 yr, if even that.....

In full disclosure - I do not own one / and I see a few of them at my gun club ...and they have issues. Some guns seem ok / but how do you know just looking at them -you can't.

What I do know in the O/U market - is both Browning and Beretta make a gun that will last for many generations / even in their lower end models. I have a variety of Browning O/U's with close to 100,000 shells thru them with no issues / not even a spring ....

Page generated in 0.02582 seconds with 8 queries