View Single Post
Old January 2, 2014, 01:31 AM   #28
bamaranger

velocity

I'm not surprised that a .357/125 combo from a carbine makes 2200fps+. In fact, I am a bit surprised it does not do more.

For a while, I kept a Marlin carbine zeroed with 125 jhp to match a similarly loaded revolver. I never shot a deer with the carbine, but did dispatch a number of feral/varmint/pest types and the combo was destructive to say the least.

Boost a slug intended to expand at 1400 fps by over 50% and you will get expansion.

I am also not surprised that you took a small (yearling?) doe with the combo. For critters up to 100 lbs or so I'd think the load would do fine. And your seemingly broadside rib cage shot was the shot one would want I'd think. That area does not offer much resistance. Heck, we drive arrows from recurve bows through that location. Although, "right behind the fore leg" is a heart/lung shot on my deer. To get the liver, you had to be at least a bit farther back, no? Does the pic show the entrance or exit?

But...comparison to .30-30 or x39mm is not valid. The difference is the sectional density and design parameters of the projectile. The rifle slugs are intended for 2000 fps, the pistol slug not.

BTW, as a brief aside only, I've taken deer with "light" 180 gr slugs in a .44 carbine, not a recommended deer load at all. Usually no exits, and one slug blew to pieces. These were .44 XTP's. But all deer very dead, and the carbine groups the light slug great.

I've changed slugs, but ...my point is,...pick your shots and angles and you can do it.

Finally, I've dispatched many deer/car cripples with a .357 revolver and the 125 load, and conducted some on the spot testing. It was not uncommon to fail to get an exit with 125 from a 4" revolver on broadside shots, point blank on mature, whitetails.

Page generated in 0.02781 seconds with 8 queries