View Single Post
Old December 6, 2012, 07:44 PM   #1
TripHlx

Strange Powder Residue

Hey guys! I recently picked up a Webley Revolver in .38 S&W, and took it out today to finally give it some range time. I functioned perfectly for the fifty rounds of Remington Factory ammo I had on hand, and was surprisingly accurate.

I had a great time with it, but while gathering brass and cleaning the gun I noticed something odd. Inside the fired cases and in the bore was a fair bit of unburned powder flakes. I said no big deal, just not a very clean burning load.

Then I noticed yellow crystals/lumps stuck to the inside of the brass. THIS is new to me, can't recall ever seeing it before. The material is granular and mostly opaque. You can see a little light through it. The yellow color makes me think it might be some kind of sulfur minerals from the gunpowder.

Anything you guys might now about this would be appreciated. I definitely don't want anything potentially corrosive fired through this gun on a regular basis, and I don't want to take any chances on dangerous ammo.

I have another box of this ammo which was bought at the same time as the fired box several years ago. This ammo was included in the sale of the gun.

P.S. If you guys have any info to put forward about the Webley Revolver or the .38 S&W, please feel free. I want as much education about this gun as I can get.

Page generated in 0.02103 seconds with 8 queries