Thread: 2400 powder ?
View Single Post
Old January 11, 2013, 05:07 PM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

"In the work-up, 14.5 gr was the last point that did not cause the cases to bulge at the base, and gave around 1100f/sec with a 158gr XTP. 15.0 gr bulged the case heads slightly, 15.6 such that extraction was difficult."

OK, a couple of problems with that, I think...

1. I think you have a gun issue, not a powder issue.

2. Your powder charges with H110 are too light.

Hodgdon's website shows, for 158-gr. XTPs, a MINIMUM load of 15 grains and a maximum load of 16.7.

The warnings with H110/WW296 has, for many years, been that you should never drop below Winchester's (or Hodgdon since they took it over) recommendations.

I routinely use use 22 grains (MAX LOAD!) of WW 296 behind a 125-gr. bullet, and 16.5 grains of 296 behind a 158-gr. bullet in my two N frame .357s and I have never had anything even remotely resembling what you're describing.

I'm thinking that you've got a revolver with oversized chambers.

Regarding the muzzle blast, yes, that will happen with heavy charges of just about any slow burning powder.

Regarding your measure, my bad, I didn't realize you were talking about the rotary drum measure -- I was thinking one of the Auto Disk models.

Yes, a fine-grain powder like 296/H110 can do that.

If you think H110 is fine, I'd suggest that you never try AA 7... It's like talc.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.03824 seconds with 8 queries