View Single Post
Old May 24, 2012, 07:41 AM   #3
kraigwy

I left Alaska before they started any CCW program ('94) but from what I understand you don't need a permit in AK.

BUT, like Wyoming, we don't have to have a permit but they still offer them for those who want to travel in other states who reconized WY's permits.

I don't know if you posted all or part of the subjects taught, assuming you did:

I would never recommend a CC class that did not cover the state weapon, and use of force laws.

I'm not against training, I'm all for it, but besides shooting, you need to learn the laws of your state.

I just went through this with my daughter. After her kids went off to college she found herself alone and decided to go the CC route (with a bit of pushing by me and her brothers).

The CC class didn't have much shooting. The shooting portion she could have passed without any training. But it covered the laws, when and where she could carry, and self defence laws of her state.

Then we got her to attend a basic firearms class followed by an advanced class. Now we're looking at a more advanced class.

But I'm drifting. You need to re-evaluate your class, find one that teaches when and where and state laws. Then move on to advanced SD shooting courses.

Being the best shooter in the world ain't going to help you if you run afowl of your state laws.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02803 seconds with 8 queries