View Single Post
Old January 13, 2013, 11:39 PM   #8
btmj

Just in my office alone, I know of 4 people (3 men, 1 woman) who have decided to buy their first firearm since the Newtown tragedy. All of these people are high paid technical professionals, very well educated, suburban. Because of our profession, we tend to lean towards politically conservative, but of the four people, only one ever indicated he had an interest in firearms.

Guy 1, married father of 4 teens, ethnically Chinese, late 40's this guy has been talking about it for a while, so it was no surprise. He asked me if now was a good time to get an AR-15, and I said, no, a month ago would have been a very good time, but there are huge backorders now. I also told him that an AR-15 is not the best choice for a first firearm. He now has a Ruger 10/22 on backorder, and bought a used Sig 226. He and his wife are taking an "into to handguns class". He promised me he would join the NRA. I told him that I would take him shooting sometime and he could shoot my AR-15 and decide if that is something he would be interested in.

Guy 2, single, early 20's, always seemed very liberal to me. Outspoken Obama supporter. Surprised me by asking my advice on a handgun. Wants to get one before they become banned. Based on his interests, and his hand size (very large), I gave him a list of guns to try. He settled on a used springfield Armory 45 he saw at Cabella's. I also talked him into the same "intro to handgun class". He wants to get his CCW license. Is considering joining the NRA, and I will give him [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] until he does.

Guy 3, divorced late 50's, ex-Army (1970's), told me in passing that he bought a Remington 870 for home defense around Christmas time. I talked to him about ammo and told him to ditch the #6 bird shot he bought, and get some buckshot. I mentioned the NRA, but I know he is too stingy to join.

Woman 1, early 40's, she grew up in Peurto Rico and is married to a doctor. Her husband is luke-warm on the idea of a firearm, but she is adamant that she wants a handgun and she wants to go through the CCW process. I think something scared her recently because she became very interested all of the sudden. She made an impulse buy of a Glock 21, and the gunstore salesmen needs to be kicked in the rear because her hands are too small for the big Glock. She will be trading it in soon on something else, and I steered her towards a 1911 if she likes 45. I also pointed her towards Kathy Jackson;s website, and told her that she would probably need to buy a smaller handgun if she was going to carry concealed. She has already joined the NRA.

I know this is all very anecdotal, but I have advised maybe 3 people in 10 years on a gun purchase, and now 4 people in 5 weeks... Wow.

Last edited by btmj; January 13, 2013 at 11:54 PM.

Page generated in 0.03630 seconds with 8 queries