View Single Post
Old January 30, 2011, 01:32 AM   #1
Crosshair

Rossi Circuit Judge 22LR/22Mag Revolving Carbine

There's been lots of talk about the new Rossi line of Circuit Judge carbines, however, most seems to focus on the .410 shotgun models. I see little talk about the 22LR/22Mag model.

So I figure I will start a thread discussing this specific gun. This thread should ONLY discuss the 22LR/22Mag model. Please don't bring in the .410 model because it's irrelevant as far as this model is concerned.

Now, on with my thoughts on this model.

I see this gun as filling a niche that has never been filled. I like the increased power the 22 mag gives, but have never bought a 22 magnum rifle because that increase was never, to me, worth buying a dedicated rifle for it. If I needed more than a 22 LR I grabbed my .223. I however own two convertible 22LR/22 mag handguns, a Ruger 3-Screw 22LR/22 Mag and a H&R 650 22LR/22 Mag (Because I wanted a DA/SA trigger.) I can shoot cheap 22 LR and with a quick swap shoot the more powerful 22 mag.

This gun serves the same purpose. I now can get the benefits of these convertible revolvers in a rifle package, not to mention I can now get a swing out convertible handgun, as that is another model they are releasing.

On the NFA side of things, I also see this as a prime SBR candidate. I haven't seen any hard numbers, but the barrel looks like it is about 18" long. Chop that to about an inch past the end of the forearm should get you about 9". Would make a dandy camping/survival rifle. The barrel would still be plenty long to realize the potential of the 22 mag.

Add to the fact that it comes with open sights makes it even better for that purpose. The front sight seems like it is held on with a screw, so moving it to the front of the shortened barrel should be simple.

You also combine the reliability of a revolver with the followup shot ability of an autoloader. Need accuracy? Cock the hammer for SA mode Need a quick followup shot? Just pull the trigger again.

Does anyone know the MSRP on this thing? I can't seem to find one.

Does anyone know availability at this point?

Now some concerns:

How accurate will this be? I don't care about shooting pennies at 50 yards, but I do care about being accurate enough to say, have a good chance of hitting a rabbit at 50 yards if I do my part.

What kind of POI shift will we see when switching between cartridges? If the change is just elevation I see no problem. If the POI shift includes any significant left/right movement then there are going to be problems.

How much performance from the 22 mag will we lose through the barrel/cylinder gap?

What are your thoughts?

Page generated in 0.03437 seconds with 8 queries