View Single Post
Old May 12, 2013, 12:44 PM   #5
45Gunner

My EDC gun is a Commander Size 1911. I own many 1911's including the 5", full size models, those with 4" or slightly longer, and the 3" model. I have never had a problem with ammo as my guns eat any thing I feed it. In my opinion, the key to reliability of ANY 1911 is to keep it clean and change the springs on a regular basis. What's a regular basis? For me, it's usually every 1000 rounds unless I notice a difference where the brass is ejecting (usually a good indication that a recoil spring needs changing) or if the gun begins to exhibit feeding problems. Some of my 1911's get their springs changed a little more frequently than others as per the manufacturers recommendation while others go on a bit longer. Not one of the smaller model 1911's is any less accurate or any less reliable than it's bigger brother as long as one keeps a tight grip on the gun (no limp wristing) as follow the recommendations as I stated above.

Springs are a cheap insurance to keep your guns running in tip top shape. I buy my springs by the dozen and have experimented with different weights until I found the particular weight that is right for a particular gun.
NRA Life Member

Page generated in 0.02389 seconds with 8 queries