View Single Post
Old July 4, 2013, 03:16 PM   #20
Nick_C_S

My first gun was a Colt Python. 6", Blue. I purchased it 8/19/1983 - one week after my 21st birthday. Took delivery of it 9/3/83. Other than shooting a couple single-action .22's, I had no handgun (or any type, for that matter) experience. I just knew that I wanted one. I was looking for a .38 Special in a 6" barrel. I quickly learned that .38's were rarely produced with barrels longer than 3", and for a longer barrel, go with a .357. (I knew nothing about guns, basically.) Once I realized I needed a .357, I immediately gravitated to that beautiful Python on display. I bought it for $449.95 - big dollars for a 21 year-old kid in '83.

At the time, I didn't appreciate just how nice of a gun I bought. Having NO experience, I had nothing with which to compare it. Trying to shorten the story here (too late! lol), I did enjoy shooting it, and put lots of rounds through it. I didn't really appreciate it at the time, but the trigger is absolutely smooth as silk. It really is a Cadillac revolver.

I later got a Smith 686, and it quickly became my gun of choice. That was because the Smith was stainless and thus, more durable; and it fit better in my small hand. The Python's handle sits farther back - good for large hands, not so good for small.

I still have my Python and it's a safe queen. I haven't fired it in a couple decades - literally. But this September 3rd, I am taking it out to the range for a 30-year anniversary shoot.

Page generated in 0.02490 seconds with 8 queries