View Single Post
Old November 11, 2011, 09:39 AM   #10
Jim243

Quote:
Which way is the truth? I dont want to invest in a case trimmer unless I have to at this point, and .45 & 9mm are the only loads I am doing to start with.

I have mixed feelings about this question. First I don't want to tell you something that might get you into a bad situation. But I also don't want to tell you something that will require you to spend a lot of time doing a step you may not need.

Pistol brass will not streach to the same extent as rifle brass (less powder and pressure). Pistol brass indexes on the the case mouth, rifle brass generally indexes on the case shoulder (exception is rifle straight wall cases).

My reloading buddy, he will trim ALL cases pistol or rifle, but that's him. I do not trim pistol brass. 99% of all pistol cases will not need to be trimed. But it is that one percent that will get you into trouble.

Here is an easy fix. Using your caliber, set it to the case trim lenght and lock it in, then take your cases and run them through the jaws to test their length. Those cases that fit use, those that are too long toss away or save till you get a trimmer.

Another cheap way is to use a Lyman Case Length Gauge and test the cases with it.

As long as you realize that a too long case may keep your pistol from going to full battery and are willing to clear the jam, you should be OK. Like I said 99% will be just fine, it is that 1% that will cause problems (if ever). His son-in-law had a XD-45 that fired out of battery and blew up the gun.

Good luck and stay safe.
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; November 11, 2011 at 09:50 AM.

Page generated in 0.02938 seconds with 8 queries