View Single Post
Old November 26, 2010, 07:52 AM   #7
odessastraight

A properly fitted and used rifle shooting sling is known to improve scores. CMP sanctioned matches sometimes include a string of rapid fire from the sitting/kneeling position along with firing from the prone position. In the standing position the sling must be removed or adjusted to the "parade" position (tight) so it provides no support. Your sling should be a shooting sling and not just a carry strap as used for hunting. Either a leather/synthetic 1907 sling or a G.I. web sling works fine.

I'm thinking there was some major malfunction of either the sling set-up or your technique for using it for your scores to be less than when you don't use a sling.
Sometimes I shoot a K98 Mauser in CMP matches, too and I know the side mounted front sling swivel somewhat complicates use of a properly adjusted shooting sling.

Like has been written above, you must consistently keep your forward hand in the same place on the stock and not let it slide forward (or move back).

Using the sling was just new to you and you'll realize what was wrong in that match with a little more experience shooting with it.. I'm confident that with a bit more dry fire practice and a few more matches your scores will significantly improve with the use of a shooting sling.

Page generated in 0.03810 seconds with 8 queries