View Single Post
Old February 22, 2009, 04:58 AM   #8
chemgirlie

I'm in WI, so nobody can carry here (except for those exempt by federal laws).

That said, I think that giving too much power to any one person is a bad idea. If my local sherif was anti-gun he could deny everybody in the county the right to carry. Like others have said this could also open the door to corruption opportunities and giving special attention to the rich/famous.

I support Vermont's approach to ccw. You don't have to have a permit to carry. As long as you are able to legally own a firearm, you can carry it with you. Vermont also has a pretty low crime rate. When it comes to rights vs privileges I think that once you have to ask permission to exercise a right, that right becomes a privilege.

I'm also opposed to the government having a list of ccw holders. If we had to register our first amendment rights by registering our choice of religion with our sherif there would be a massive outcry of public disapproval. I feel the same way about people having to register their right to exercise the 2nd.

There are absolutely people who lose the right to carry a firearm due to mental incompetence or proving that they are unable to exercise their rights in a way that doesn't violate somebody else's rights. But, I don't think the fact that there are criminals should keep me from exercising my rights.

Last edited by chemgirlie; February 22, 2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typo

Page generated in 0.02183 seconds with 8 queries