View Single Post
Old June 12, 2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-Joe
Some of the things you have stated don't make scense?
I know, that's why I'm here asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleNick
Watch how the case head meets the moving caliper jaw. The offset in the insert adapter in that gauge is necessary for using it with their Overall Length Gauge, but can trick the user into angling the case head against the moving jaw of the caliper.
One of the things I did think of was making sure the cases were measured exactly the same each time. I noticed that the gauge body is cut off-set so that it can be centered on the caliper jaw when the set screw is tightened.

I measured each of the cases being careful to have the edge of the rim on the upper edge of the jaw for consistency and also centering the jaw on the flash hole. I also made sure to measure the cases so that they were consistently rotated exactly the same.

Now, they were not all fired in the same orientation, so that could, I suppose, have something to do with it but wouldn't that require the off-center chamber you mentioned?

Unfortunately, I didn't think to see if the shortest cases grew if I adjusted the die higher. I noticed the effect when I was adjusting the die using the "nominal" cases. The shoulder position grew by .003 until the die actually contacted the shoulder, at which point I adjusted it to subtract (as close as possible to) .0015 from the initial reading. I had assumed that the shorter cases would simply never reach the shoulder area of the die and I would simply be adding that .003 to their number. I was quite surprised when they shrank even further.

I'll have to experiment farther with the .204 cases... I sized all the 7mm cases already as they had been fired 2 or 3 times and were getting tight.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; June 12, 2011 at 04:38 PM.

Page generated in 0.02121 seconds with 8 queries