View Single Post
Old March 30, 2011, 05:37 AM   #29
BlueTrain

This forum certainly gets academic at times, don't it?

I also understand that yet another .45 Colt cartridge was introduced when the army (and Marines, too, I think) adopted the New Service revolver in that caliber, around 1909, if memory serves. It would not fit in a Single Action Army revolver because the rim was larger. I have not consulted the Cartridges of the World on this. The idea was to give a larger rim for the extractor to work on in the New Service revolver, which was not necessary on the SAA because there was no extractor, just the ejector rod. It could still be loaded into alternate holes in the cylinder of an SAA if necessary but there may have been none left on active service at the time anyway.

The army then and now does not have the same considerations that we as civilian consumers might have and so when they bought all those new revolvers, they just bought the ammuntion they needed and were happy. It only had to fit their own revolvers and there were no other considerations.

Do you suppose some of those revolvers were converted to .45 ACP later on? And do you suppose that Patton used army issued ammuntion for his own personal Colt Single Action Army revolver that he was famous for?
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.03466 seconds with 8 queries