View Single Post
Old August 15, 2013, 10:39 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Feed that old warhorse standard 230gr FMJ GI ball, and nothing else. Just don't feed it a lot.

Both the steel and the heat treating have been improved a lot since that guns day, but the ammo spec is still the same, which means that guns made later will last longer, not that there is anything bad or deficient about the early production guns.

Remember that in those days, 5,000 rnds was considered the service life of the gun. So if you put a couple thousand rounds through that pre WWI gun, expect something to wear, or even break. As long as the frame doesn't fail, the gun can run nearly forever with replacement parts.

During the mid 1970s, I saw two 1911 frame guns in my Army shop (both for the same thing, they had been dropped and the rear sight was mashed). One of them was other all original, except for the grips, and the other had a couple of 1911A1 parts.

From the introduction of the 1911A1, Army policy was that 1911s were to be maintained with 1911A1 parts are needed. Those guns were still in service a half century after they were bought, no idea how many rounds that they had fired.

Shoot a couple boxes of ball through it, once or twice a year, and I'd be surprised if you had any problems. Do that every weekend, and after a couple years, I'd be surprised if you didn't have any problems.

Page generated in 0.02594 seconds with 8 queries