View Single Post
Old August 28, 2008, 12:46 AM   #1
azsixshooter

Finally "popped my primer"!

I finally loaded and fired my first 20 handloads. What an awesome feeling! I just wanted to give a big thanks to all on TFL who have helped guys like me get started. I've spent months pouring over threads, both old and new, here and I believe it's a big part of the reason why my first experience was such a successful one.

The one thing I did wrong (that I could see) was I failed to deburr/campher about half of the cases. I case-trimmed half of them and deburred those, but then forgot to do the ones I had sitting in the loading block. They scraped up the bullet jackets a little bit when I seated the bullets and probably led to some slightly less accurate rounds. My best group was 1.1875" with shot 5 going through the same hole as shot 4. I fired them all while sitting on a bucket and shooting off the tailgate of my truck at 100 yards. So while I didn't get sub-MOA this time I'm not too worried. This is my first centerfire rifle (CZ 550 American, 6.5x55SE), I've only had it about a month, my handloads weren't all perfect and I could have been shooting under better conditions. I don't know how humidity affects shooting, but a storm had just passed through and it was a very humid 101.4F out.

Thanks again to all of you who share your knowledge and experience here with those of us who are trying to learn this most enjoyable hobby. I think it's safe to say I'll be handloading for life!
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html

Page generated in 0.03271 seconds with 8 queries