View Single Post
Old May 2, 2000, 02:37 AM   #6
The Mohican Sneak

A buddy and I found a couple of nice rattlesnake dens while at the farm last week. Then I wasn't prepared to catch them, but on my next trip I will be.

For 3 years now, I've been looking for a 6' rattlesnake or longer to mount. My plans? Catch him, and then put him in a sack... then put the sack into the cooler - on ice. After he goes into a "hibernation", I'll transport him to the freezer so that no damage is done to the hide. I caught a rattler last deer season, but he was only 3' long and only had 3 rattlers and a button.

The method I plan to use to get the snakes out is a method my uncle has used in the past.

Take an old garden hose, and screw a lightbulb into the "female" end. With a pocket knife, punch two small holes into the hose just above the metal fitting - one on each side.

The lightbulb will allow the hose to slip down into the hole without getting caught on the crooks and turns of the den. Once all the way in, shake the hose and put your ear to your end. You'll be able to hear through the hose if one is down in there by his rattling. If you hear one, take a teaspoon of gasoline and put it in the hose, let it get to the bottom, then blow in it as hard as you can. Apparently, snakes can't breathe gas fumes and he'll come out of the hole - pissed and in a hurr! From then, just catch him best you can - usually with a forked stick or rake. Get ahold of his head, then drop him into the bag and proceed on to the next den.

That's the way my uncle has done it for years at the Rattlesnake Roundup that's held in Perry, GA.

Do y'all know of any other ways?

------------------
>>>>>>>>------------TMS---------------->>>

Page generated in 0.03032 seconds with 8 queries