Thread: Lead Danger?
View Single Post
Old September 11, 1999, 05:25 PM   #10
Paul B.

Well. While the threat of lead poisoning is real, chewing on solder, crimping fishing sinkers with your teeth, lead dust in the air at indoor ranges, I think those rectal orifaces at the EPA and OSHA have it all wrong. The real threat is government official with the power to make rules and regulations without any recourse by the people.
We here in southern Arizona are now being told that as many as 85 percent of our groundwater wells must be shut down because the EPA sez there's too much Radon in the water. Also, when the new standards for arsenic come out, there will be too much of that stuff in the water too. Gee guys. People been drinking that water for almost 300 years and we ain't had problems from that stuff yet. They did have to close some wells that were contaminated with TCE, but that was a man made problem.
We would not have a water problem though. They have a canal bringinh water to our area from the Colorado river, the CAP project. The problem is that the water tastes like hell, corrodes the plumbing in older homes and some say smells pretty bad. We had a referendum vote saying to use the water to recharge our groundwater. The powers that be didn't like that. The vote was about 5 years ago, and they still have done nothing.
All of a sudden, enter the superhero EPA to save us from all our bad groundwater. Bull puckey!
You do know that the EPA wanted to outlaw lead fishing sinkers, and lead bullets, because they were made of lead.
Tell you a story, that happens to be true.
When I lived in Nevada, Winnemucca NV to be exact, this 23 year old jerk with his BS degree, working for the EPA came out looking for info on wind patterns, IE average directions and speeds on a yearly basis. I got the distinct displeasure of having to help this know it all. After giving him the data he needed, I asked what it was going to be used for. He told me he was doing a study on the excessive rate of particulate matter in the air of Northern Nevada. I asked him to step outside and look around. What did you see? I asked him. He said nothing. I said you are looking at a desert. Deserts are dry and dusty as a matter of nature. I said, "Tell me you idiot. Does the government and your agency plan to blacktop the whole state of Nevada? Because that is what you will have to do to get rid of the dust."
With guys like him around, making environmental decisions via regulation, we are in deep fecal material. Sorry to get off thread.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.02193 seconds with 8 queries