View Single Post
Old January 31, 2001, 10:38 PM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Thunder Ranch suggests knee and elbow pads for its week long defensive handgun course. Weenie or not, you will be a lot more comfortable later while you are having a beer than those people who didn't have them.

Think about an extra recoil spring, some oil, maybe a couple of tools relevant to a Glock.

There have been discussions on flashlights previously and you can do a search, but for the $, ~$35, you can get a good light, with batteries and a spare bulb from Botach Tactical. It is called a Scorpion and is made by Streamlight. Yes, the Sure-Fire 6P or 6Z is a little better, but costs nearly twice as much and doesn't come with an extra bulb. Both will fit nicely in your pocket and have plenty of uses outside of the class.

A good idea to have anyway, but especially handy for class may be a first aid kit. White tape is great to cover blisters on the digits of your fingers. Duct tape will work as well, just torn into thin little strips.

Also, bring clothes for the elements and assume that whatever the weatherman said isn't right. I like to dress in layers and peel off as the day warms up, as it should be doing this time of year. Maybe it doesn't get warmer, so be sure you have a coat. Or maybe it starts raining. It would be nice if your coat was water resistent. You get the idea.

Regardless of the weather, bring your own water and power bars/candy bars are good to have in case you find you just aren't going to make it to lunch or dinner break. I promise you that few things can be scarier than a trainee with a gun and crashed blood sugar. The screaming of "Moe, Larry, Cheese!" comes to mind. Remember, the food may not be for you, although I usually manage to eat my own snacks.

Page generated in 0.04962 seconds with 8 queries