View Single Post
Old November 18, 2011, 10:50 AM   #15
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
secret_agent_man wrote: The current civil unrest, know as "The Occupy Movement", is so far contained to urban environs.
I don't know about te US, but the Occupy Movement in the EU is a protest demo, not civil unrest. And they are demostrating against irresponsible financial practices by the big institutions that have left countless people in the fiscal lurch.
People exercising their right to protest: long may it continue, IMHO.

As for the state of current events, well, as some have said the News should be called the Bad News as there is never anything positive in its content, although positivie things happen every day. People like to read about disaster and so that is what the media provides.
Having said that, I do think things are going to go downhill, certainly before they get better:

Never mind 7 billion people now, try 9 billion by 2050. At current rates you'd need to triple production to meet that demand. I don't think that anywhere in the world will be particularly immune to whatever may befall the Ganges Delta or the like.

Unfortunately, most of the western world has sandy ears, living in denial of these facts. Those being that we have to change our lifestyles if we want to preserve anything of the way we live now.

Most don't want to... so we'll need to live with the social consequences of that stance in the decades to come...

I pity the next few generations.

In response to the initial query, I think I am definitely more focussed on SD and HD in the current climate. I've never felt particularly threatened, and I've not gone looking for trouble and hence it hasn't come looking for me, but if things get worse and crime rises, then I'd rather be ready...

Now... where the heck did I leave my RPG? Never leave home without it...

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; November 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: actually answering the initial question!

Page generated in 0.02486 seconds with 8 queries