View Single Post
Old June 2, 2011, 11:55 PM   #29
NWPilgrim

Quote:
Quote:
The only downside to a faster twist like 1:9, 1:8, or 1:7 is that they can spin the bullet so fast that thin jacketed varmint bullets can fly apart

I don't buy that, I shoot 52 grn V-max in my 1-7 White Oak Service Rifle, Never had one come apart. Never seen one come apart. Never heard of it except on the internet.
You should try reading the Hornady Manual, 7th edition. Page 193 (and I believe on other cartridge pages):

At velocities exceeding 3400 fps, bullets sometimes come apart before they reach the target. Also note the thin jacket of SX bullets limits them to velocities of 3400fps.

Then under the Bullet Description section regarding the SX style varmint bullet, page 40:

...These bullets have such thin copper jackets that they cannot be driven much above 3500fps velocities without flying apart.

As I mention in my previous post, some bullets can fly apart with a fast twist rate and high velocities. Not all or even most, but some of the thin jacket ones can, at least according to one bullet manufacturer.

ETA: The part of my post conveniently left out of the other posters' quote of me, which is relevant to the statement:
With lighter bullets you are combining faster velocities (and spinning) with very thin jacket "explosive" bullets.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison

Last edited by NWPilgrim; June 3, 2011 at 12:01 AM.

Page generated in 0.03589 seconds with 8 queries