View Single Post
Old June 15, 2010, 05:51 PM   #1
4INCHSMITH

Rifle or Shotgun? Strange Double Barrel (pics)

A friend of mine's father asked me to take some pictures of an old blackpowder gun of his, most of all he would just like to know what it is. He would never sell it but approximate value would be some good information to give him.

I appologize because I did not have the opportunity to take measurements such as barrel length, caliber, or OAL.

The gun is a double barrelled black powder rifle/shotgun combo. Both barrels appear to be of damascus type and are via primer cap. The bore of the smoothbore barrel appears to be smaller than that of a modern 12ga shotgun (no choke). The rifled barrel has hexagonal rifling, thats right, hexagonal. The sights are a post front and notch rear and very tiny, about the size of those on a 1911 (like a Springfield GI). The ONLY markings on the gun are the words "IOS WINKLER IN AUGSBERG" engraved along the top rib of the barrels. I have no idea of the guns age but there is plenty of patina.

Sorry for the dark pics, we were in the basement and it was raining outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6130005.jpg (135.8 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg P6130006.jpg (131.7 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg P6130007.jpg (137.4 KB, 166 views)

Page generated in 0.02198 seconds with 9 queries