View Single Post
Old March 20, 2007, 09:09 PM   #1
trooper3385

Texas Game Warden shot and killed by poacher

I posted this here because I thought it would be more relavent towards this crowd than in the other ones. This just goes to show you how careful you need to be when approaching people that you don't know on your lease or places that you hunt at. You never know what you might be walking into.

Texas Game Warden Justin Hurst, 34, was shot and killed by a poacher on Saturday March 17 in El Campo, TX. He was a great guy that I have worked with before. He observed a poacher shoot a deer. When he tried to make a traffic stop on the guy, he took off in his truck. Justin got into a pursuit with the guy that lasted for over an hour. The Texas Highway Patrol and County units also got involved in the pursuit. The Highway Patrol managed to spike the guys tires. Instead of coming to a stop slowing, the guy slammed on his brakes after getting spiked and came to an abrupt stop. Since the vehicle stopped so quick, Justin wasn't able to stop with much distance in between the vehicles. Just as Justin exited his patrol car, the guy came out with an AK 47 and opened up. Justin was struck in the upper leg. The guy continued to shoot at him while he was on the ground. Another Game Warden that had got involved in the pursuit managed to reach him and cover him with his own body to keep the Warden from being struck again. Trooper's were able to return fire and shoot the suspect 4 times.

Justin was airlifted to the hospital but died on the way. The bullet that struck him in the leg struck a major artery and he bled to death.

I forget what the suspects name is, but he survived. An emergency room doctor asked the guy what he was thinking and the guy laughed and said that he had a brain fart!!

Justin had been a Game Warden since 2002 and leaves behind a wife and 4 month old daughter.

Like I said before, this just goes to show you how careful you need to be when your out hunting. Most people in this sport are just the good ole boy type, but there are still some out there that are not. When you run into a strangers out hunting, you never know which ones there going to be.

Page generated in 0.02363 seconds with 8 queries