Thread: 6 Rounds?
View Single Post
Old November 10, 2012, 09:01 PM   #42
fastbolt

Quote:
I think it's an over-used mythology that people armed with high-capacity weapons are predisposed to spray the landscape wantonly with lead.
Perhaps.

It's just that I've listened to a fair number of cops who had expended anywhere from several rounds to a couple of mag loads, during a shooting, and relate how they'd realized at some point in their respective incidents they'd needed to start aiming and get accurate & effective hits if they were going to stop their attackers and survive.

As a firearms instructor who's worked primarily with LE, but also non-LE citizens at times, I've seen at least my fair share of folks using hi-cap pistols fire faster than they could either properly index or align their pistols for accurate sighted fire.

I'm not disparaging hi-cap pistols (or even pistols with 7-8 round mags ). I carried an issued hi-cap alloy wondernine back when "hi-cap" merely meant a magazine held more rounds than a Colt Model O pistol (and you could find both the Browning HP and S&W M59 in the hands of both cops and lawfully armed private citizens). Later on I carried an issued hi-cap .40 S&W for some years.

I do, however, miss the days when cops were taught to carefully aim their shots, using DA revolvers, and many were cognizant of having only 6 rounds at hand before reloading was necessary.

I just wish I saw more younger pistol shooters (before the days of service revolvers) making the effort to acquire the same solid handgun foundation skillset that I saw acquired by many revolvers shooters in years past. Nowadays you can ask some folks who have only shot hi-cap pistols to shoot for accuracy at 50 yards, and more often than not they look at you like you're asking the impossible, or speaking gibberish.

Page generated in 0.03596 seconds with 8 queries