View Single Post
Old September 6, 2012, 10:42 AM   #18
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut17
...I, personally, think this is going to eventually be my HD and maybe SD stance of choice,...
I think before making that kind of a decision, you'd do well to get some good training in the fundamentals and more traditional techniques. Whatever and however you might choose to shoot, a solid foundation will be a big help.

I'm not so sure that the thread is beyond repair. What I see here is that a bunch of folks are skeptical. So am I.

Since the OP asked for "thoughts", here are a few of my "off the top of my head" thoughts:
  • I'm skeptical of system that seems to rely too much on a very specific body orientation. If one's interest is in defensive handgun, nasty events take place in three dimensions, so one must he somewhat flexible. One great benefit from USPSA/IDPA competition as a learning/practice tool is that it can force one to shoot from unconventional position.

Both the Weaver and Modern Isosceles rely primarily on upper body orientation and allow considerable flexibility in foot position.

• Accuracy is primarily a function of trigger control, not stance. If you have good trigger control, you can get good hits standing, sitting, on your knees, on your belly, on one foot, with one hand, etc.

The primary function of stance with both the Weaver and the Modern Isosceles is recoil management.

• The extreme bladed posture is strong front-to-back, but less stable side-to-side. A less bladed posture (say from 30 to 60 degrees) offers more flexibility. It is stable in more directions, allows a range of turning motion and is better suited to movement and a more dynamic response.

• Watching the videos, I didn't see anyone performing better than I've seen shooters perform using Weaver or Modern Isosceles.

And I'm sorry the video showing the speed shooting and speed reloads for time didn't also show the hits. The times (mid-four seconds for six shots with tow reloads) could be impressive, but only if the shooter was getting good hits.

On the other hand, I've seen quite a few eight to ten second El Presidentes (twelve shots over three targets at ten yards, albeit with only one reload but starting facing up range with a holstered gun) with all "A" zone hits (or maybe dropping one or two points).

• All that said, I think one should know and practice a variety of stances and be able to use what might be best in particular circumstance. There's no reason why C. A. R. shouldn't be in someone's toolbox. But it's just not a final answer.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03894 seconds with 8 queries