View Single Post
Old March 25, 2010, 10:41 PM   #4
LRShooter

I shoot Mid and LR, High Power and know what my bullet drops are from 100-1000 yds. Ref FMJ's. Use a target bullet for target shooting. You will do better as the range increases.

Mil Dots are used to range a target (figure out the distance) using the reticle. Your list appears to be the standard space between dot centers. the space between the two is one milliradian. 1 Mil = 3.6 inchs at 100 yds or 36 inches at 1000 yds.

What all that means is it allows you to determine the range to a target of a known size. It's kind of easy but you have to use a formula to figure it.
It is the height of target in yds divided by the height of target in mils (dots) X 1000 = distance in yards.

If the average male is 6 ft tall and you know that a mil dot is 36 inces at 1000 yds then 2X36 inches = the 6 ft tall guy or 2 yards tall (let's keep it in yards). You look at the guy through your scope and the top of his hat to the bottom of his shoes = 4 dots. Take the 2 (yds) divide by 4 (dots) = 2.

2 yds X 1000 yds gives you a distance of 500 yds.

Now that you know the distance you can determine your drop. Like Jim I would just dial in the in the drop in MOA and aim dead on, allowing for wind, if any. Wind is a whole other story. Then again so is drop. And speaking of drop, it's a good idea to know just how many clicks of up your scope is capable of. The average drop at 600 yds is around 16 inches. With a 1/4 MOA scope turret that = 16 X 4 or 64 clicks of up. Many scopes will do 50 clicks but few 60+ and if you need to put in windage that might cut down on the number of clicks "up" that you have available. if you don't have it you need to get a 20 MOA mount or Burris Zee Rings with 20 MOA inserts. I use those because they won't harm (mar) the scope tube.

Last edited by LRShooter; March 25, 2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Original poster reposted during my response

Page generated in 0.03088 seconds with 8 queries