View Single Post
Old May 10, 2013, 03:14 PM   #11
Bob Wright

Quote:
AID_Admin asked:Now, that you have for "identical" revolvers, can you describe the difference while shooting them (action, feel, etc.)? Thanks.
Well, I've yet to fire either of these two Colts, but based on my Rugers, I can tell you the difference between 4 3/4" and 7 1/2" barrels. The 4 3/4" barreled single action handles much more precisely and comes on target much quicker, this for up-close (25 yards or so) shooting. The 7 1/2" barrel takes a little longer to "settle down" and get on target. But the extra weight out front on a 7 1/2" gun dampens recoil much more than one would expect, while recoil with the shorter barrel can be just short of vicious. Also the 7 1/2" barrel provides a longer sight radius and is more precise for longer range shots.

And, the 7 1/2" barrel provides somewhat greater muzzle velocity with most powders (there are exceptions) so these attributes make the 7 1/2" barrel the better choice for hunting, at least for me.

As to the new Colts, the 5 1/2" gun has a lighter mainspring and cocks much easier. Both have trigger pulls that are heavy and have some creep. I'm going to "shoot them in" before I drop them off to my gunsmith, however.

Bob Wright

Page generated in 0.02720 seconds with 8 queries