Thread: 6.5x284
View Single Post
Old August 31, 2008, 10:30 AM   #8
abnrgr

6.5-.284

Hello All,
You are correct that there is a problem getting 140gr. bullets to fit in the magazine of a short action remington! I just had one built of a remington action, shilen barrel, HS precision stock. I purchased Norma brass which is great brass. It has a slight hump internally at the base of the neck (presumably to stop the depth of bullet?) which meant I could not seat the bullets deep enough to fit in the magazine with 140 Noslers or Hornady's. I had a local gunsmith/ reloader drill out the hump and seat the bullets a few thousandths deeper to fit in the magazine. The gun was supposed to be a long action remington! I decided to see how it would shoot with these bullets before giving it back to the builder who was new to 6.5-.284 for the long action............ long story short------ WOW; unbelievable shooter! Last night while shooting off sandbags; with a new scope after shooting and cleaning (repeat), it was shooting 5 shots into one ragged hole!!! I have not chronographed it yet but if I can get 27-2800 fps out of those deep bullets.... I'm leaving it alone and keeping the short action even though the bullets are a problem.

Page generated in 0.03340 seconds with 8 queries