View Single Post
Old February 16, 2014, 07:17 AM   #13
mehavey

8/31/07... from someone I know quite well

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know it has been a very long time since I have been able to write a letter. We have recently built up a new combat outpost in the center of one of the cities, and that has been where I have been living close to six days at a time. We're right in the heart of it. Already the insurgents have made it very clear that they don't like our new home. Within one week they hit us with over 18 IEDs. We have captured and killed a number of the emplacers, however that doesn't seem to be slowing them down at all.

Just a few days ago my platoon and I were in our first real fire fight since we've been in country. The whole exchange lasted over an hour, and though they attempted to ambush us on a number of occasions, the men acted wonderfully. The driver of one of the [panel van]trucks that was firing at us was taken in alive (though he will probably never walk again). I had never been in a situation like that. You always wonder how you will act and if you will do the right thing, but you can never be sure until you are in it for real. When I was caught in the open when they attempted to block off the road and catch us in a cross fire, I was in the lead and dismounted. There was no cover. It was a split second decision, but I charged them, firing a whole magazine into them as I ran. Two seconds into my charge the 50.cal from the truck behind me let loose and tore up the enemy vehicle. I saw two of the fighters in the back go down from my fire. The enemy truck sped off (i don't know how it was still holding together), but we intercepted it a minute or two later and took down the driver.

We have only been living at this combat outpost a few weeks, but already we have seen more action than in the past 7 or 8 months of the tour combined.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's no issue with killing using the M2 when the conditions warrant. But I'll also warrant that strictures on ordnance size/destructiveness do come into play when (1) collateral damage is potentially high; (2) It is unnecessary and wastes expensive ammunition beyond any possible point of reason; (3) and or troops "...just want to see what it can do..."

Apparently not the case HERE

(But then... you never could a Marine anything. )

Last edited by mehavey; February 16, 2014 at 07:27 AM.

Page generated in 0.02540 seconds with 8 queries