View Single Post
Old November 20, 2009, 04:07 PM   #1
rickyjames

Archery question, draw weights

Archery hunting seems to becoming more popular. Archery hunting shows seem to be taking over the hunting TV channels. Many of these shows are now featuring children and women bow hunting deer and other even larger game. There are even commercials advertising womans camo hunting gear and certain bow makers are now making lines of bows exclusive for women.

My question is what is a minimum draw weight needed for deer and larger game? My bow is a 50 to 70 lb adjustable draw, it came set at 70 and I have never thought of lowering it . I know that most of these women and all of the children are not capable of drawing weights like that. I'm not sure what draw weights the women and kids are using but at least the magic of TV makes it seem like they are taking game.

This isn't really a question about women or children bow hunters but is there a minimum draw weight for hunting certain game animals? I always thought draw weights were like bullets, the heavier the better.I see arrows that barely penetrate game, some pass right thru the animal. Some compound bow hunters seem to struggle drawing the bow before let off and others draw the bow with what looks like little or no effort. The hunters are usually quick to advertise what bow they are using but NEVER say what draw weight they use. I'm now thinking most of the hunters have their bows set closer to the minimum draw weight than the maximum and perhaps the right way to learn to shoot and be accurate.

My bow came set at 70 lbs and I have never changed it. Maybe thats why I suck at shooting my bow. I had never thought about adjusting the draw weight down until watching some of these shows. What draw weights are you guys shooting at? What would be the lowest draw weight advisable for hunting deer and such? Thanks

Page generated in 0.02748 seconds with 8 queries