View Single Post
Old August 19, 2000, 10:25 PM   #2
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Don,
The difference between manufacturer's bullets can vary. The biggest is the hardness of the cast bullet. For instance, if you take a 185 grain bullet that's relatively soft and use Oregon Trail's load data, you're going to have quite a bit of leading in your bore.

What I use from the manual is a rough outline of what a particular bullet weight and powder charge will do. It provides me with a basis for maximum charge.

Depending on what I'm loading, I may start off 10-15% lower then the max. charge. If I want target loads, then the data is probably not even in the book since most books list loads that run near max.

That's the beauty behind reloading. Experimentation with different bullets, powders, OAL, etc. Contacting the manufacturer is a good idea. Don't be disappointed if they provide you with a very bland reply.

Some of the best source of load data is from the net. Just like the members of TFL, you'll start compiling your own charts. From there, it's amazing how much of a difference you'll find in + or - a few tenths of a grain with accuracy.

Take care and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me at any time.

Page generated in 0.03705 seconds with 8 queries