View Single Post
Old July 5, 2013, 12:10 PM   #68
Uncle Buck

Quote:
If you have never fired on a range that is not closely monitored you would be in for a rude awakening.
Even some of the closely monitored ones can leave something to be desired.

Quote:
Military troops are well disciplined and well supervised in firing range operations. On most military ranges it matters not if a bullet sometimes goes over the berm because no one is allowed down range to the maximum range of the round being fired.
The qualification range at Whiteman AFB, MO is pretty much enclosed, except for the top. But if you look closely at the side walls yo will see bullet pock-marks and long scars where the bullets have been stopped by the wall.

Quote:
Recently a guy on one of the websites i visit recommend the use of a large round hay bale for a backstop.
NO! This is an extremely bad idea. I set up a round bale and put a target in front of it (Target held in place by a piece of plywood) and a 4x8 piece of plywood behind the round bale. My rifle bullets passed right through it. (I do not know if a pistol round would penetrate.)

I have would, stone and dirt as well as natural topography on my firing range.

The stories about people moving in to places and then complaining reminds me of an old church in Mystic CT. When I was a kid we would spend summers on a lake near there and a small church always range the bell on Sundays and Wednesdays. A big city lawyer moved in to town for the "Small town atmosphere" and then complained about the bell ringing. The church, which had been ringing the bell for at least 150 years, was ordered to stop.

Page generated in 0.03408 seconds with 8 queries