Thread: .22LR Revolver
View Single Post
Old July 16, 2012, 12:31 PM   #53
ScotchMan

Quote:
I personally believe since you say you have these "business guns" whatever that might mean, that you know that S&W revolvers are known for higher out of the box quality than ANY currently manufactured 22 revolver.
By business guns, I just mean they are the ones I train with, carry, and shopped for with the criteria of hard, frequent use. Great performance is required no matter the cost. The .22LR I want is none of these things, its a toy, and a training aide at best. I'm not disparaging your .22 revolvers, I'm just saying for me this does not need to be a BMW, it can be a Neon. But, if a more expensive choice is worth it, I don't need the gun tomorrow, I can save a bit more and get the more expensive one.

I agree that S&W has a great reputation (despite some people saying otherwise about newer examples). But I hear the same thing about Ruger. The Charter is a new idea for me, coming from this thread, but the recommendation was positive from a poster that I respect, so I'm considering it.

I have handled S&W and Ruger revolvers, though not the .22 varieties. I agree the K-frame S&Ws are very nice. The Rugers seem that the newer ones are very nice (I held a new GP100 and thought the trigger was as nice or better than a 686). But the older ones (an '89 SP101 I had) had triggers that were definitely not as nice as the Smiths.

The LCR is definitely out, only because of the size. I want something I can get a full grip on for sure.

I will of course go to a gun store and handle everything before making a decision. The only reason I haven't yet is because I don't want to buy just yet. I like to do some initial research online first so I go in with a good set of ideas and know what to look for. For example, I will pay extra attention to the double action on the SP101 since some have reported it is not the best. And I will look at a Charter, which I would not have otherwise done.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member

Page generated in 0.02901 seconds with 8 queries