View Single Post
Old October 4, 2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Jim243

You didn't say what type of ammo you were going to be reloading. I started out with the Lee Classic Turret press on 45 ACP, that was what I loaded first, then on to 270 Wincester still on the Lee Classic Turret, then 30-06, then 9mm, then 38 spl & 357 Mag, etc, etc.... all with the same press.

As a note, the preperation of cases is a bit different for pistol and rifle and the Lee Classic if great for doing a round from start to finish all at the same time (step one through four). But since the rifle case must be trimmed after it has been resized and lube removed, it is much easyier to do them in batches instead of all at one time. To do them in batches, it makes more sense to do rifle cases on a single stage press than a turret or progressive. They can be done so, but not as easily. In addition the single stage press gives you more force that can be exereted on a fire hardend rifle case.

You guessed it, my second press was an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press to do my rifle reloads. I load for 13 different calibers now and with the exception of 223 all pistol is loaded on the Classic Turret Press and all rifle is loaded on the single stage press. 223 I load on both AR ammo on the Lee Classic Turret and 223 competition ammo on the RCBS Rockchucker.

Unless you and your son are shooting a LOT of pistol ammo a progressive press is a bit of over kill. It is not the cost of the presses but the cost of supplies that will kill you. I load about 100 to 200 rounds per secession at the press without any trouble at all, and all of them perfect (I take my time on it.) But a 1,000 bullets will cost you anywheres from $175 to $250 depending on the caliber and bullet type. I can not afford that kind of cost each time I want to reload inaddition to the cases, powder and primers.

So you need to ask yourself, what are you going to reload and how many do you need to do each time you sit down at the press. Now the Hornady LNL is a very good press for what it does, but so is the Lee.

Good luck
Jim

Page generated in 0.03443 seconds with 8 queries