View Single Post
Old November 24, 2009, 02:41 PM   #1
azredhawk44

Sigh... my turret setup sucks.

Lyman T-mag turret.

Can't recommend it at all.

The priming system was obviously never tested by the people that designed it, and they had no beta quality checking of the design.

A spring-actuated priming arm at the bottom of the press engages a primer feed tube held by the turret head. A spring loaded detent stops the primers from falling out of the primer feed tube (supposedly).

The priming arm comes back and catches a single primer and relieves pressure on the detent. You then manually push the priming arm under the ram to prime your case, the detent (is supposed to) come back forward and stop the rest of the primers from falling out, and life is supposed to be wonderful.

Yeah, right. Let me tell you how it actually works.

First off: Your "turret" press is no longer a turret once you install the priming system. If you have a loaded primer tube inserted in the press and you rotate the head... primers fall out the bottom. So, it's essentially a single stage with multiple heads rather than a turret. My intended use was to take a case from fired to re-loaded without removing it from the ram, eliminating case handling time and rotating the head for each stage (decap/resize/prime, flare/powder charge, seat/crimp). However, my perfectly good primers fall from the priming tube and mix with the spent primers in the primer catch tray. I don't like wasting 4 primers for each produced cartridge.

Secondly: this feed system does not stop primers from flipping sideways in the tube, and they have wound up sideways when they find their way into the priming arm cup. I think this has to do with the detent in the primer tube assembly.

Thirdly: There's a detent spring tension adjustment... that does nothing. I've run it all the way in, I've backed it all the way out, I've tried various places in between... no change in primer reliability.

Lyman: Your turret press priming system is the most gawd awful thing I've ever been cursed to use that I've actually paid for with the intent to use. Yeah, single stage presses come with a priming arm and are supposedly a feature that you pay for when you buy a press... but no one in their right mind uses it.

Primers I used were CCI small pistol primers, for .38 special.

Anyone want to try and convince me that I need to make "X" adjustment, or that the lyman system works really good if I use it for large primers and just give up on small primers with it?

Aside from the Lyman priming design... I've gotta give a big thumbs down to the Lee Pro Auto Disk. I've got the thumbscrews all tightened down, but I get loose powder all over my bench surface as the thing operates. The powder involved in this case is Titegroup.

Does the Lee PAD leak when using disks for anyone else? How about the adjustable charge bar? Does it leak?

Very glad I bought a Dillon Square Deal B for my handgun loading recently. I was going nuts from trying to keep up with my handgun shooting while using a single stage (~150rds a week since I've taken up some shooting competitions). The turret was going to help... but evidently it's a failed solution.

Page generated in 0.03187 seconds with 8 queries