View Single Post
Old December 24, 2012, 01:14 AM   #39
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
Your point is debatable, and IMHO it's hard to reasonably argue that the 13A and 14A aren't beneficial to most Americans in most respects.
They are, but ultimately the point I was making is about the Federal government establishing a precedent of overruling state law.

Quote:
I'm not precisely sure what part of my rationale you're addressing, but I'll be the first to agree that the colonial-era concept of the militia is obsolete and irrelevant to modern America. However, this doesn't neuter the 2A; it just makes the prefatory clause irrelevant too. There's no need to guarantee that the militia is armed when the militia has evolved into the National Guard, which is a militia in theory but IMHO actually operates as a de facto reserve force of the regular military.
The rationale of the right and establishment of the militia. Not your rationalization, I admit, but rather the one you were presenting. I apologize for the confusion.

Quote:
If I had my druthers, I would create a constitutional amendment eliminating every reference to the militia, and replacing them all with a clause clarifying that the institution of a military draft is a legitimate power of Congress. OTOH the militia isn't the only legal dead weight in the document; after all, it's been over 150 years since Congress issued a letter of marque and reprisal!
I would just make an amendment that says the same thing as it does, without the prefatory clause, and then "shall not be infringed on any conditions whatsoever" haha
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor

Last edited by Dr Big Bird PhD; December 24, 2012 at 02:35 AM.

Page generated in 0.03416 seconds with 8 queries