Thread: RMR sighting
View Single Post
Old February 19, 2013, 08:18 AM   #11
WC145

Quote:
Trijicon boasts the RMR is paralax free out to 50 meters and recomends sighting in at that distance. You may find that distance to be a bit sportly for a handgun, but sighting in at a maximum effective range does seem to bode well for use of a red dot.
I've got RMR02s on a FNP45 Tactical (my duty gun) and a FNS9, I'm very happy with the performance on both. As far as sighting distances, if you do a little research on ballistics and trajectories you'll find that you can zero your gun fairly close (10-12yds) and it'll be zeroed a longer distance as well, the exact distance depends on trajectory. For example, lets say a particular 9mm round zeroed in at 10yds is also going to be zeroed at 75yds, with maybe a 2-3" peak trajectory somewhere in the middle. That means you can hold dead on, with no kentucky windage, any target from the muzzle to 75yds, even head shots. And, let's say the projectile drops 4" between 75 and 100yds, now you're talking about holding centermass even at that distance and making good hits.
Here's a link to the ballistics calculator I use - http://www.handloads.com/calc/.
Also, if you check out warriortalk they have a whole forum section on red dots and there is a ton of great info there.

"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03664 seconds with 8 queries